Argan oil, also known as Moroccan oil, is an oil extracted from the Moroccan Argania Spinoza or Argan tree. The tree grows in the Maghreb region, and has particularly survived in Morocco. It is its semi-arid environment that is believed to have contributed to its characteristics and benefits. Berber women of the region guard centuries of knowledge on its obtention: the product demands a lot of patience and hard manual work. They carefully follow the collecting, pulping, cold-pressing process to ensure that these extraction methods remain natural and preserve both the sustainability of the tree and the oil's reputed richness in nutrients for maximum benefits on beautifying your skin.
The oil's popularity has since widened far beyond the shores of North Africa. Its amazing features combined with its hypoallergenic property have made Argan oil a favourite ingredient in cosmetic products. This oil is reputed for its exceptional skin hydrating, softening and strengthening properties. Its lightness allows your skin to absorb it really quickly and deeply, which makes it non-greasy and non-staining.
Pure Argan Oil provides Vitamin E, antioxidants and essential Omega-6 and Omega-9 fatty acids that the skin absorbs really quickly. These highly hydrate your skin, balance its oils, promote skin health, and deeply and rapidly nourish it, leaving it glowing, younger-looking and more pliable. Although the oil is appropriate for use on all skin types, its specific benefits makes it particularly ideal for dehydrated, flaky, ageing or wrinkly skin.
Its richness gives the oil a versatility of uses. You will find it really effective:
- In nail care: Argan oil strengthens your nails, cuticles and the skin surrounding your nails and help you keep them strong, healthy, and looking great.
- As a skin cleanser: Because oils are the best way to dissolve old oil and other impurities and that Argan oil also regulates your skin's oils, it is often incorporated in skin cleansing products.
- As a skin moisturizer: Its wide use as a skin moisturizer is due to it being light and non-greasy and therefore neither stains your clothes nor discomfort your skin, which is especially advantageous in hot and humid weathers.
- As skin protection: Its high content of antioxidants that enables Argan Oil to give a protective barrier to your skin (and even your hair and nails) against the damages caused by the environment. These damages include UV rays from the sun but also their dehydrating effects, which makes the oil a good ally in the fight against skin cancer.
- To treat burns: Argan oil is also an effective oil in the treatment of burns and of skin prone to acne vulgaris: its fatty acids do not congest the pores and promote repair while its antioxidants help relieve and heal the irritation.
- As an anti-ageing treatment: A main reason why Argan oil often appears as an ingredient in anti-ageing products is due to its power to deeply hydrate, replenish and smooth up dry or wrinkled skin, slowing down the aging process.
- In hair care: The oil is used in hair care to give them a shine, promote hair growth and help repair scalp issues such as dryness as well as split ends. It is also fantastic at protecting your hair from heat, which you will find essential in this era of electric hair tools. You will also find that it is a great alternative to chemicals and electrical accoutrements when it comes to managing frizzy hair and obtaining a smooth, beautiful and strong mane.
Caution and Precautions
The Pure Argan Oil is suitable for all skin types, but there are some precautions to take to eliminate any risks. Although adverse side effects of the Argan oil are very rare, they are important to point out to help you do what is best for your skin first. There also have been cases where the oil does not perform as advertised or expected. These are a few reasons why these scenarios arise and ways to avoid this happening to you:
- Dosage in product: Many products contain Argan oil because of its recognised benefits. It is important though to note that there needs to be the right amount of the ingredient for any real impact on your skin: the correct dosage makes a whole difference. Both too much and too little in the blend (including for the dosage of the other ingredients) might lead the expected outcome not to be attained. Reputable companies conduct tests to ensure that the product has the right dosage and delivers the expected impact on the skin.
- Quality: The extraction process that obtains the kernel oil is delicate. The Berber tribe has been doing this with care and expertise for centuries and their manual, patient and careful method encompasses the knowledge that retains the full benefits of the oil. This is why at Green Beauty Box, we only work with companies that keep this ethic and respect that culture. A reason for lower efficacy is that the oil has been wrongly extracted or further modified. The cosmetic industry is a billion dollar industry and there will always be people who partake in order just to make money, not worrying about the impact on people's skins. There will also be individuals whom in this quest will not hesitate to temper with the product and dilute it. At Green Beauty Box, we are proud of the time we take to hunt for natural, organic products and the care that is put in ensuring that they are as pure as intended to give your skin the most positive impact.
- Other ingredients: At times, Argan Oil is mixed with other ingredients. Where this is the case, those ingredients need to reinforce or complement the actions of Argan Oil. A solution created without relevant knowledge puts the oil in contact with another element that might cancel or lessen its effects. This is one of the main reasons why it is primordial for us at Green Beauty Box to thoroughly research our products, their ingredients, the companies that produce them and the knowledge, skills and experience involved in creating the safest possible and most effective cosmetics for your skin. Where the additional ingredients are not natural, they might also irritate the skin or produce any of the side effects observed.
- Usage - dosage: The usage of Argan oil also comes into play. A few drops suffice. Rub these between your palms or fingers before massaging them gently and in a circular motion onto your skin.
- Allergy: It is rare for people to have an allergic reaction to the oil. However, just to be on the safe side, any products you want to put on your skin for the first time (which includes if a product mentions that the ingredients or their dosage has been changed), must be tested. Find a small and hidden patch of skin to do the test. Let the oil penetrate the skin and give it up to 24 hours to ensure that there are no adverse effect. During that time, monitor your skin for any itches, redness, rash, flakiness and in most severe cases, difficulty breathing. Low quality Argan Oil is more likely to cause those allergic reactions. Purchasing pure Argan oil significantly reduces these risks.
- Appearance: A user needs to know what to expect when they are purchasing. Pure Argan Oil is golden in colour and has a barely perceptible nutty scent. The product is light, has a silky flow and is quickly absorbed by the skin and should leave no superfluous and uncomfortable greasy or sticky feel. Anything else has been tampered with. Of course, legitimate mixtures that keep the benefits of the oil are still going to be different in looks and odour. It is therefore important when you acquire blends to ensure that the company is reputable and that the ingredients are natural or organic and certified to be so.
- Usage - stage of the beauty routine: Argan oil needs to be used during the correct stage of your daily beauty routine. It is generally used as a moisturizer as its lightness and nutrient-richness makes it ideal for nourishing and protecting your skin. However, it is also found in cleansing solution because its efficacy at dissolving old oil and impurities. You can also use when you need it during the day.
- Bottling up and storage: Finally, natural products are sensitive and can be effected by many external elements including the bottling up and the storage. An incorrect container or storage can alter the quality of the product. When purchasing your Argan oil, you must therefore ensure that the containing bottle is dark, so as to block the light. After acquiring the oil, make sure that it is kept in a cool and dry place.
At Green Beauty Box, we research the best products so you don't have to. We believe in natural, organic, ethical and everything that means that your beauty is in safe hands. Our favourite natural and certified organic Argan Oil products include MUN and Kahina Giving Beauty Argan Oil.
MUN offers one of the most reputable natural, certified organic and pure Argan Oil products and we so happen to have it right here for the benefits of your skin. The company creates essential beauty products that are 100% natural, and as organic and ethical as possible.
MUN Argan Oil is sourced locally and sustainably from a union of women's co-operative, ensuring a fair exchange. The products are vegan and cruelty-free.
Kahina is a staple of natural, cruelty-free and ethical beauty products. The company is named after an amazing Berber warrior queen. Their Kahina Giving Beauty 100% Organic Argan Oil is 100% Organic and 100% natural.
Whichever you choose, make sure you incorporate this elixir into your daily routine. It will accompany a restful night, brighten the skin in the morning, and keep your skin hydrated, balanced and looking young, refreshed and luminous while it protects your skin from breakouts! Start using it today and watch your skin looking healthy and glowing.